TMU Balance Baffles Embry-Riddle

September 2, 2017

Santa Clarita, Calif. -- If TMU men's soccer coach Jim Rickard was looking for offensive balance, he found it on a hot and humid Saturday morning in big numbers.

Six of his Mustangs scored, including three who did in a four-minute window in the second half that enabled TMU to pull away for a 6-2 victory over Embry-Riddle Aeronautical.

The victory was the club's second in a row and boosted its 2017 record to 4-1. 

The assault on the Eagle net started early as junior Trevor Mangan headed in a shot just 1:41 into the match.  Mangan's first goal of the season came off passes from Dylan Bielanski and Daniel Smith.

Just under 10 minutes later, the Mustangs doubled their advantage when junior transfer Leonardo Anjos capitalized on an Eagle yellow card in the box and booted in a penalty kick for a 2-0 lead at the 11:37 mark of the opening half.  It was Anjos' first goal in a Mustang uniform.

The Mustangs would have more opportunities to score in the first stanza, putting six shots on goal during the opening 45 minutes, but it was Embry-Riddle that struck next as David Bates beat TMU goalie Casey Phillips from the top of the box, halving the deficit with 16:12 left in the half.

That narrow lead was threatened over the next two minutes by a couple of Eagle shots on goal but Phillips came up big to preserve the advantage.

Then, as the seconds ticked off the first-half clock, Benjamin Tembo found the net off a pass from Justin Ikeora to send the Mustangs to halftime up 3-1.  It was Tembo's team-leading sixth goal of the season.

The Mustangs recorded 10 shots in the first half to seven for the Eagles.

TMU matched that in the second half and, more importantly, scored three more times to put the game in the win column.

However, it wasn't that easy since the Eagles halved the two-goal deficit when Daniel Nunez put one by Phillips in unassisted fashion at the 9:52 mark.

That narrowest of leads held up for the next 13-plus minutes until the Mustangs responded in prolific and decisive fashion. 

At the 68:03 mark, Matt Logan took a corner kick from Luis Garcia-Sosa and slammed it past Eagle goalie Jake Hutto for a 4-2 lead.  Logan's second goal in as many games was also assisted by Jonathan Brown.

Two minutes later (70:09), the Mustangs took control.  Off another assist from Brown, freshman Joseph Moisant put one by Hutto from inside the box.  It was Moisant's first collegiate goal.

There was one more where that come from and it capped a three-goal barrage in a 3:54 window.  Garcia-Sosa provided the final fireworks of the morning when he took a pass from Tembo and slid it by Hutto at 71:57 for the game's final score.

The Mustangs wound up with a 20-14 shot advantage, including a whopping 15-6 edge in shots on goal.

Following the match, Rickard said, "The conditions wore down Embry-Riddle and we were able to capitalize.  I'm proud of the effort in terrible conditions."

It was a big one for the Mustangs, who started a three-games in five-day stretch with a victory.

On Labor Day, the Mustangs travel to Riverside for a 6:00pm match against La Sierra.